...Once upstairs I was forced down the corridor yet again, passed the bathing room and straight into the throne room where the demon king was waiting. He smiled at me politely as I glared. The guards forced me to kneel with my arms twisted behind my back and I struggled with the effort of fighting back, but it was no use. My curls fell over my eyes and I stared down the demon king through the strands with all the intensity of my pure blue eyes. My evident hatred only caused the grin on his face to grow wider and a long set of yellow teeth more than disturbed me.
“You seem pleased with yourself, demon,” I said as I tried to gather up my force field.
“I sent a message today,” He started smugly, “Over the mountain.”
I stared at him in disbelief.
“I will soon have my kingdom whole!” He said with a laugh.
“You fool. You only told them where I was. You’ll never even see Moon. The Knights will come for me and I will be long gone before you ever knew they were here.”
“No, goddess,” the demon said as he rose to his feet, “for you will already be dead before they get here. Take her away,” he said with a wave of his hand as if I truly disgusted him.
I was yanked to my feet and dragged out of the throne room in a hurry. As we hurried down the corridor and down the stairs the demons taunted and harassed me telling how they would torture me. I panted as I was shoved down the stairs and into the main cell block, nearly tripping when one of the guards grabbed hold of me by the shoulders and squeezed hard. His hot whisper pushing my curls up against my ear and I gritted my teeth trying to stay calm.
“And then I’ll start on your sister and have my way with her and have your king watch in agony.”
I lost it.
With a strength unknown to me I forced my defenses up with the sound of a hurricane. Electrifying bolts shot out of the hazy blue dome and harmed several guards as other came running. They scrambled to reach me, but were only shocked instead and large blisters pink and red could be seen forming on their arms. Purple and pink sparks exploded around me as I let the surge within me run wild and I laughed in spite of myself, a short, harsh gurgle in my throat. I felt my curls start to flap in the wind my force field was generating and I yelled through clenched teeth harsh and quick and not at all steady, “You’ll never get Moon, you bastard! She will destroy the likes of all of you vermin and banish you back to the lowest depths of hell here all you belong!”
“Goddess!” a voice suddenly rang out from behind me and I sent an electric flare.
I was suddenly yanked out of my rage as I found Damious kneeling behind me clutching his left arm to his chest. His neat hair had now fallen over his solid eyes, hiding his expression as sweat trickled down his face. I panted trying to keep the tears back as I gazed around me in despair. I felt lost and frantic and at my wits end. The guards paced about the front of my force field and shouted threats as I desperately searched for a way out. Just as suddenly as the first time, Damious spoke again.
“Leave us,” he said in a gasp and I could see him clenching his teeth in pain.
“But, my prince,” the guards protested.
“Leave!” even his shouts were melodic.
The guards reluctantly retreated back up the stairs and left me and Damious alone. I studied him for a moment still trying to grasp hold of myself. I watched the smoke curl off Damious’s arm as if in slow motion. I fell to my knees as I released my force field and crawled over to where he knelt. My body shaking and my curls trembling over my eyes I let my tears loose.
“Damious!” I sobbed as I leaned my head against his, “My only friend, I’m so sorry!”
“Shh,” he said as he raised his hand and placed it gently on face.
I let out a gasping sob as I placed my hand on where his skin had blistered red and purple and swelling. I closed my eyes and tried to calm myself. I shot my eyes open again when I felt a sharp pain in my hand. I was shocked and amazed to realize that I was absorbing his pain. Slowly and steadily I watched the discoloration leave his body and rub onto the palm of my hand as if wet paint. He raised his head and his soulful eyes gazed into mine. I backed away slowly as my whole body felt as if it were on fire wondering if that was what my victims felt.
“Bird, you’re a healer?” he asked me as he looked down at his newly restored arm as I shook my head, not trusting myself to speak.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment