...The clicking of desert insects became intensified as we approached a clearing. Thick shrubbery lined a field of moss and grass and in the middle was a large waterfall, its waters crashing down on the rocks around the base of a pond. After only a moment’s hesitation and with a quick glance at each other, Os and I splashed loudly into the pool as the youths we were and started to gulp down the cool liquid. It felt ice like as it flowed through my bloodstream and settled in my stomach. The other knights stood knee deep in the water scooping up handfuls of water and downing it greedily. They laughed heartily as they slapped each other on the back and pointed as Os and I rough housing in the cool, rejuvenating liquid.
Soaking wet and shivering badly, I reached my arms to the sky and tilted my head to the heavens thinking of God. With a start, I noticed something peculiar about the waterfall. The water fell in abundance yet did not seem to have a source. It appeared that it fell freely out of the fog filled sky. Rubbing my eyes, I looked again as my stomach took a violent jump and I stumbled out of the water with Os calling after me. I suddenly felt as if my whole body was consumed my lightning as its force pulsed through my body and I presently became sick. I knelt on the cool moss floor and panted heavily, fists full of dirt as Sir William knelt down beside me and rubbed my back.
“Come one then, Sigmund, you’re alright, now,” he said in a fatherly voice as I felt the storm within me subside.
I turned my head ever so slightly for the ringing in my ears to find Sir William’s worried brown eyes and Os pacing over his shoulder, wringing his hands. I sat on the wet ground and felt less like a knight and more like a small child. I stared up at the waterfall as my stomach gave another violent turn and I quickly looked way.
I studied the three knights before me as I wondered if we had done something wrong. Sir Henry looked at me curiously as a strong breeze sent goose bumps down my spine, his green eyes looking over at the pool we had just emerged from. Os’ eyes were pleading as he knelt down beside me and I took him in my arms, my eyes meeting Sir William’s.
It was then I noticed that the surrounding bushes seemed to be moving, as if they were quivering with the movement of some unknown animal. At a speed that made my stomach jump again, a large group of dark clothed men emerged, swords raised and heads covered save for their eyes. Their black turbans flapped in the wind as the trees seemed to whisper around us. Sir William instantly turned on his heels and stood with his arms outstretched on either side of him, blocking Os and I from view. I wondered briefly if my father were present, would he even bother, me being such a disappointment to him. I shook the thought out of my head as I struggled to stay focused. I felt Os go limp in my arms and I could feel his unconscious breathing. I hugged him tightly as the knights seemed to speak to the advancing men in a language I could not understand, their bodies twisting grotesquely in my vision. Suddenly, both of the knights turned to me and I became aware of my swaying as I hit the soft ground and welcomed sleep, hoping to wake from the nightmare I had found myself in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment